Student Blogging Challenge Week 3: Images

Hello everyone,

This week’s topic is about images.

Activity 1: Write a post about a favourite time with your family.

My favourite thing to do with my family is to spend time with them, no matter what we are doing together. Spending time with them is unsurpassable and I am really glad that I am able to be with them. Being with them is better than anything in the world, whether we are doing something amazing or boring I will still enjoy it because I am with my family. I especially enjoy it when we are playing sport together or swimming at the beach. We get to bond and have fun, eating ice cream and playing games. I really love it when I play fetch with my dog Sandy. She scampers around the garden chasing after the ball keeping it in her mouth whilst I try to grasp it from her.  It is so exciting when my extended family visit from overseas because I get to spend time with them. I don’t usually see them so whatever we do it is enjoyable. Any minute I have a chance to spend with my family I will take it. Everything is better when my family is there.

This is my dog Sandy:

Sandy Hanky        Keep calm and be with family

Activity 2: Write a post about a person who has passed away.

Ninny was my step grandma on my mum’s side. She died last year on ANZAC day, which is on the 25th April. She lived in England and was always very kind and funny. She joked around which always made me laugh. After her death I was devastated, I couldn’t believe what had happened. She had tea parties with me and took me to events with my grandad. I really enjoyed every minute I had with her. She loved playing Spotto and whenever we passed a yellow bin she claimed it was a yellow car, so she always won. (In Spotto you have to see who can find the most yellow cars. WARNING: It is very addictive on road trips). She knitted me a blanket and bought me presents. She enjoyed being around me but unfortunately a year after I left England after a holiday she passed away because of lung cancer. My mum said she used to smoke when I wasn’t around, I had no idea. She will always be in my mind and heart for as long as I live.

Nin 1      Nin3

Activity 3. Have a relative write a post about their parents or grandparents

I asked my parents about my Grandma on my dad’s side, Lesley. They said: Sadly she passed away five days after I was born so I didn’t get to meet her. She was born in Glasgow, Scotland during World War II. Her favourite sport was tennis and she played the accordion. She trained as an actuary so was good with numbers and maths and was a vegetarian. She had a dream when she was at school to live in a cottage overlooking a loch (a Scottish lake) or water and a castle. And her dream came true. She eventually lived on a remote Scottish Island in the Outer Hebrides of Scotland called Barra, in a little stone cottage overlooking a bay and a medieval castle called Kisimul. Barra has an unusual airport as the planes have to land on the beach at low tide. It is also supposed to have the whitest sand in the world. Grandma loved the island and enjoyed walking and swimming. She volunteered in the church charity shop. She also collected things. Lots of things. Rocks, shells, wood and other bits and pieces that washed up on the beaches.

One day I hope to visit the Isle of Barra and see where she lived. I think I would have really liked her.

gran l 1   gran l 2

Activity 4. Add at least one new widget to your sidebar

I chose to add Tigger the tiger as a new widget. I thought that I needed to add something that would catch people’s attention. When I first added Kokoro the panda I received great responses from people on how they loved him, so I decided to add another animal. It was a very tough decision between a penguin and a tiger but I finally decided that the tiger was cuter. I added Tigger the tiger.

Tigger the Tiger

Bunnyhero labs is where Tigger was born. It is a great website that is easy to understand if you want to make a virtual pet widget for your blog. Here is the link:

http://bunnyherolabs.com/adopt/

Activity 5. What have you learnt about using images on your blog? Write a post, create a poster or video explaining your understanding now.

This is my video on using images. I hope you like it:

Creative Commons

All images and videos belong to me and my family.  I have permission to use them.  They cannot be used by anyone else.

Rachel.

6 thoughts on “Student Blogging Challenge Week 3: Images

1. Hi Rachel
    This is a lovely and very emotive post. You have used photos well again. I always enjoy reading your blog even if it is sad from time to time.

2. A beautiful and moving post Rachel. The photos really added interest to your writing. Your video was very informative and I also like the Keep Calm picture you created. Thank you for asking permission to use the family photos.
    Love Mum

3. G’day Rachel,
    What another great post! So much thought and effort. As a family we also used to use the Spotto cards from the BP service stations but I haven’t seen them in many years now.

I also liked your video about creative commons. Do I have your permission to use it in future challenges as an example of what you could do for an activity?

1. Hi Miss W,
      Thank you for commenting. Spotto is a great game isn’t it.
      You can definitely use my video in future challenges.
      Rachel.