Student Blogging Challenge: Nature

Hello everyone,

This week’s topic is nature. Our task was to write about something in nature. Nature is all around us, it is anything that is not man-made. Here are some examples:

• Plants
  • Planets
  • Animal
  • Volcanoes, mountains, streams etc.

I chose to write about the discovery of Saturn.

It is unknown who the first person was who saw Saturn. Saturn is one of the five planets that can be seen without any form of invention. Although it is unknown who first saw Saturn, Galileo first discovered it with his telescope.

Galileo was an astronomer from Italy. He discovered Saturn with his telescope in 1610. He also discovered the rings around Saturn using the same instrument. When he first saw Saturn he saw an oval shaped planet. He believed it had what he called “ears” or spheres on either side. Later it was discovered Saturn had a ring rotating around it. Galileo was also the first to discover Saturn’s moon Titan.

Facts about Saturn:

• Second largest planet in the solar system
  • Its rings are made from ice, rock and dust
  • Saturn is mainly made from helium and gas
  • The length of the rings can almost reach the moon if they are placed directly next to Earth
  • The rings are less than 1 kilometre thick
  • Saturn’s rings are the only rings around planets that you can see from earth as long as you have a telescope
  • A day in Saturn lasts 10 hours and 14 minutes
  • The wind on Saturn can travel up to 1800km per hour
  • 29 earth years is about a year on Saturn
  • Saturday is named after Saturn

A very interesting website with more facts about Saturn is:

http://www.nasa.gov/audience/forstudents/k-4/home/F_Saturn_Fun_Facts_K-4.html

To find out facts about other planets just type fun facts about (then type the name of the planet you are looking for) in the search bar at the top of the site. It will then direct you to the facts about that planet.Saturn!!!
Creative commons image

I created a Wordle using my information above. Here it is:wordle

This week I decided to add a task for you.

Your task is to create your own planet. Describe what it looks like and when it was discovered. Does it have rings? What colour is it? Is there life on the planet? What is it made from? What is it called? How wide is it?

Please write a comment describing your planet. This is an example of a planet I made up.

The name of my planet is Bedlet, it is green in colour and is 1500 kilometres wide. It has rings made from gas and Bedlet itself is made from rock. There is life on the planet called Sendles. It was discovered by mankind on earth on the 18th November 2015. It looks like a sphere and it is the 10th planet from the sun. It is the 9th if you don’t include dwarf planets.

I hope you enjoy completing my task.

Rachel.

11 thoughts on “Student Blogging Challenge: Nature

1. Great post Rachel!
    I love that you are using your recently acquired knowledge regarding the planets in order to engage others. Your planet sounds interesting. I wonder……what gives your planet its green colour? How many rings surround it? You say there is life on Bedlet? Human life? Plant life? Alien life? So many things in which to be curious!!
    Can’t wait to see what other readers suggest.
    Mrs W

1. Thank you Mrs Watts.
      In answer to your questions Bedlet has 3 rings, human life and the colour green comes from all the grass on the planet. By the way Bedlet is a very cold planet. The Sendles better wrap up warm.
      Rach.

2. Great job Rachel! I didn’t know so much about Saturn! Where in the galaxy is Bedlet? Is it close to Saturn?
    From,
    Kennedy

1. Hi Kennedy,
      Bedlet is the ninth planet from the sun, three planets away from Saturn which is the sixth planet from the sun.
      Thank you for your comment.
      Rachel.

3. Hi Rachel

my planet is called Ding Dong. It’s colour is gold and it has a giant gold diamond on it!
    What is your favourite colour?

4. Hello, I love how you put pictures and how they are very detailed, colorful, and have all sorts of different things on them but they connect with your topic! Come check some of our blogs out when you can @cougarnewsblog.com